Saturday, April 28, 2007

Rough night

It was a rough night last night. I don't know whether it was from taking Syd grocery shopping or what, but at around midnight last night, she started with a croupy cough. Now for those who have never had to deal with it, croup is one of the scariest sounding sicknesses. Luckily, we have her pulse ox so I can tell if she is having breathing problems. I don't know what I am going to do without that little machine. I wish the insurance company would just buy it for us. I would buy it, but it costs right at around $1,000! I'm going to miss that little machine when we have to give it back, though. I think I rely on it way too much. Anyway, back to the croup. Once she started the cough and a little bit of the stridor sounds, I went into her room, filled up her cool-mist humidifier and turned it up to high. I put it right next to her crib. I was afraid she was going to wake up soaking wet, because it tends to make stuff wet around it when you have it on high, but I didn't care if it helped her. I also gave her a couple whiffs of her Atrovent. I don't know if that helps croup, but I was willing to give it a try. It took about 1/2 an hour, but she finally stopped coughing and was able to sleep well until the morning. In all the commotion, Paige woke up and came to sleep in our bed. I was a little nervous she might have an accident. She hasn't had one in over a week (probably closer to two), but I thought if she was going to have one it would be in our bed that isn't protected for that. After she climbed in bed with me, I did some more research on croup to make sure I wasn't missing something I could do if she had another coughing episode. Luckily, she didn't until around 7 this morning. That was after finally going to sleep at around 2 last night. I think a long nap is in order this afternoon!

No comments: