Saturday, August 25, 2007

Stormy night

Last night we had a huge thunderstorm at about 4 am. Luckily, the girls didn't wake up. It kept me awake. The thunder made it sound like it was right over us. I started getting worried about Sydney being hooked up to the pulse ox machine and what would happen if lightening hit the house. I'm going to ask the guy from the oxygen place on Monday.

Sydney had her first taste of diet Dr. Pepper. She was sitting on my lap and kept pointing at my glass. She can be extremely persistent now. I let her put her mouth on the side and just tipped my glass until the drink touched her tongue. At first she thought she liked it, but after a couple times of that, she decided she didn't. Thank goodness. That wouldn't be good if she did. She has really wanted to taste just about everything I eat or drink in the last few days. That's a really good thing, because she's obviously not got a taste aversion. The speech therapist will be glad of that.

I talked to Bill today finally. He said he had made it back to Afghanistan. He bought himself a little tv/dvd combo on his way back.

I take Sydney back to the cardiologist (hopefully one of the last visits down there for the hospital at least) on Tuesday. Unfortunately, we have to leave at something like 6:30 in the morning. Most of her dermabond has come off her scar on her chest. It is looking great. Once it is totally healed, I don't think you are going to be able to see much of a scar at all. The surgeon did a great job.

So now here are the signs Syd does:
mommy
daddy
fish
cat
dog
bear
please
thank you
more
eat
bubbles
all done
car
play
book
shoes
sleep
music

She knows what an elephant says and will do it just from a picture. She'll hit me on my lap when she wants to come sit on my lap. She pretends to play a drum. If she signs book and I say what, she'll sign please. She's very polite. She has started to actually say something that sounds a lot like "hi" when she is playing on the phone or talking to someone on the phone.

Paige has really enjoyed school this first week. She actually looks forward to going every day. I don't know what the change is. Maybe she was so sick and tired of Bill and I that she wants to get away. I had to get a copy of her physical for school and they had a continuing diagnosis for her of Asthma. What, asthma?! I am guessing it's a carryover from when she was younger and had to be on the albuterol. I can hardly remember all of that.

Well, off to try to get Sydney to take a nap. She hardly does it anymore after her surgery. Here she comes with one of her books and her phone. Off to entertaining!

No comments: