Saturday, July 19, 2008

Only my child...

would get croup in the middle of July! I couldn't believe it last night when I heard her. Sydney has had a runny for the past few days. I was hoping it would stay as a cold. Last night after I fed her for the last time, she started a little cough. It wasn't a normal cough, though, it was that very distinctive croup bark. I knew I was in for it last night. Around 12:30, Syd woke up crying and had the stridor that goes along with croup (for those of you who don't know what that is, it's 1,000 times worse than wheezing). She was freaking herself out with the breathing, and started actually having trouble breathing. I told the pediatrician today, that if I hadn't had her pulse ox and known she wasn't having really bad issues, I probably would have called an ambulance. She hasn't had an episode with her croup like this since she was about 4 months old. Anyway, I had to keep myself calm and try to calm her down so she could breath better. I turned on her television and put the Wiggles on. That didn't make her happy, but she did stop crying for awhile. She wasn't watching it, though, so I knew she wasn't feeling well. I sat with her in her room for about an hour, then decided she probably wasn't going to need her oxygen and moved into the living room on a recliner with her. At about 4:30, I heard this loud bang, followed by crying. Paige had managed to fall out of her bed and hit her elbow on the dollhouse that sits by it. I felt sorry for her, but I don't know how she did it. She came in and I calmed her down and she decided she wanted to go sleep in the middle of our bed for awhile. I let her and hoped that she wouldn't fall out of that, too. She has before. It was pretty high before, but we have put 5 inch risers under it so we can store more under our bed. I waited about 1/2 an hour and decided Sydney had got into a sleep that I might be able to put her back into bed with. She slept there with minimal disturbances until around 6:30, then started coughing again. I asked Paige to go back to her own bed (I think she just went straight to the living room to watch TV) so I could bring Sydney into our bed to sleep with me. She won't sleep if Paige is in there making her silly. We slept around another hour, then Syd woke up and started moving around a lot so we got up.

I took Sydney to the doctor this morning. He has prescribed her with some oral steroids and an antibiotic. I also have to give her some expectorant for her cough. He said she needs to have a humidifier (which I used last night) and keep the house cold. I guess I need to lower the temp for the a/c. He did suggest that if it got bad, he has had some parents that sit by their freezer in a chair with their child and the door open. He said it works. The cold opens up the airways so they can breath better. So think of me tonight.... I might be sitting in the kitchen watching my ice cream melt!

Sorry I haven't posted any pictures lately. My card reader on my computer has decided to quit, so I have to find the cord to attach my camera to my computer to download pictures.

No comments: