This little story starts about a couple days ago. Paige started having a sore throat in the mornings. They seemed to disappear during the day, so I thought it was from drainage and kept sending her to school. Yesterday when I picked her up, she was complaining about a sore throat, which was a little different than usual. She hadn't had it in the afternoons the previous days. We went to a couple stores, then came home. Paige ate a little for dinner and Sydney looked fine. Paige went to bed and I gave Sydney her vest treatment before bed. That's when everything went awry. Sydney looked kind of sick during her vest treatment. At one point, I thought the vest was cutting into her neck and choking her. She definitely wasn't enjoying it like she usually does. After we were done, I was sitting in the chair with her and she started trying to throw up. I say "trying" because she had the Nissen done and can't really throw up like everyone else. It is more of dry heaves with some coming up sometimes. It is 100 times worse watching her do that than it is to watch someone throw up, because it can't be pleasant. In the meantime, Paige was kind of moaning and moving around in her bed. I decided to take her temperature, because she was a little warm, and it was over 102 degrees. I took Sydney's and it was close to 103! What happened, and when did it actually happen?! I gave them both some Motrin and tried to put Sydney in bed. Luckily her oxygen level was great. Her heart rate was pretty high due to the fever. Unfortunately after a couple tries in the crib, I had to come out to the living room and sleep with her sitting partially up. She kept trying to throw up all night. Pretty sad. Eventually Paige woke up crying and found us in the living room. I took her temp again and it was still pretty high, so I alternated it with Tylenol. I fell asleep for a little bit, but was woken up by Sydney thrashing around. I ended up taking her temperature and it was up to 103.7! She was roasting.
First thing this morning I called the pediatrician's office. We went to see the doctor at 10. She came in and said she could tell that Paige had a fever. Poor Paige was sitting curled up in a chair with her winter coat on shivering. It was around 71 degrees outside. She looked in her mouth and instantly said it was Strep throat. She said she didn't even need to do the test. Then she looked at Sydney, who was asleep, and said her throat looked awful. I figured she had a sore throat, because she downed a cup of water this morning. Usually she sips on one cup over a whole day. The doctor decided that since Syd is medically fragile, she'd do the strep test. For some reason it was coming up negative. She was positive she had strep and said she probably didn't get a good swab, so she ran on on Paige. Hers came up positive very quickly. She gave them both a prescription for Amoxicillin and some Zofran for nausea (which is the same thing I took for morning sickness). She also gave me a prescription to hang onto in case I catch it. As of right now, Paige still has a 101.2 fever, but Sydney's is finally down to a normal temp.
Now, onto the spot! Paige had been in her room taking a nap and yelled at me from the bedroom door. I can barely hear her right now, but finally heard she had thrown up in her room. Poor girl. Luckily for me (ha), she had eaten some tomato soup and a red popsicle for lunch. I went in and sprayed it with my Bissell Oxykick (which usually works on everything), then went over it with the steam cleaner. There are still a couple "pink" spots in the carpet that just won't come up. Oh well, they just blend in with all the other spots in the carpet!
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment